1. Painful nipples
- If your nipples are cracked, leave a few drops of milk to dry on the nipples after the feed.
- Make sure that your baby is lying in a proper position. Maybe the pain was caused by wrong position of the child.
- If you don’t see any injury on your nipples, but they still hurt, check your baby’s oral cavity. If there are white spots that don’t go away, it’s fungus. In this case, you both have the fungus usually known as Candida. Nothing serious about this since it’s fungus that can be cured easily. Talk to your pediatrician and use the medicine prescribed by the doctor after you breastfeed. It will heal up very fast.
2. Painful breasts
- Your breasts hurt and you have already heard of abscesses? So you fear the worst? Don’t panic! There are a number of alarming signals to consider first.
- The first sign of breast engorgement: there is too much milk in the breasts because the baby drinks less, or has been weaned too quickly. Express some milk from the breast under a warm shower and you should feel better.
- Further signs are inflammation of the lymphatic nodes (red lines on the breasts) or mastitis (inflammation of the breast glands, a reddening and swelling on one side of the breast). Both can be treated through rest and with warm compresses (small towel soaked in warm water).
- And if it’s the scary abscess? Abscesses do not appear without warning: you will have a fever, swelling in the armpits and pus in the milk. Whatever it is, there is no cause for alarm: if you don’t breastfeed for a few days, your milk production should not be affected. Seek your doctor’s advice.
3. The baby gives trouble
- This generally happens around 6 weeks or 3 months old, when the baby’s appetite gets bigger (people call it ‘growth crises’).
- It reacts negatively to a too strict time schedule, or to coffee or nicotine that he gets from your milk. It’s up to you to change certain habits.
- Baby can feel that you are tense: try to calm yourself and relax.
- Sometimes babies just have to cry to relax or to release their energy.
- Maybe your baby has a tummy ache or is sick?
Read our previous blog: 7 Tip-tip Penjagaan Bayi Baru Lahir