Baby Massage Essentials – AfterBirthCare Confinement, Kajang
Sense of touch – the first sense a baby knows
In the womb, a developing baby is gently held in warm fluid which called the amniotic fluid, and soothed by the beating of his mother’s heart. Therefore touch is the first sense a baby will experience both inside the womb and once he was born.
He even receives his first massage while passing down the birth canal during labour, which occurs during contractions that help to stimulate his breathing, digestive and other systems.
Benefits of baby massage
One way to encourage bonding is by touching and massaging your baby. Its benefit has been proven both in health and bonds between mom and baby. Besides that, it is also important during the growth period especially during the first six months.
Baby Massage is important because it can:
– Help your baby be more alert and sociable when he’s awake.
– Release tension, anxiety and irritability.
– Help relieve colic and digestive problems.
– Be a great contribution to a healthy weight gain.
– Increase serotonin level which is called as ‘happiness chemical’.
– Promote communication, build trust and bonding with mom.
– Help in emotional growth, particularly in the development of security, confidence and independence.
– Help fathers bond with baby, too.
Getting ready to baby massage
1) Massage your baby after a warm bath or before sleep is the said to be the best time.
2) Make sure that you are comfortable when you massage your baby which may take about 15 minutes or more. You may want to play gentle music to help you both relax.
3) Use a soft blanket on a pad on the floor, or can also use the changing table. When you undress your baby, lay a receiving blanket over her in order to prevent her from becoming chilled.
4) You may wish to use a small amount of baby oil or lotion. It can reduce friction against your baby’s skin, and make the hand movements of the massage smoother.
5) Pour a small amount of baby oil into your palm, and allow it to warm between your hands before smoothing the oil onto your baby’s skin.
6) Begin with a very light touch and gradually increase the pressure as you become more confident and your baby gets used to being massaged.
7) Above all, baby massage should be a pleasant activity that makes you and your baby happy and brings you both closer to each other. Enjoy your bonding time!
Read our previous blog: Worries that New Moms usually Have