Breastfeeding is a magical experience, but it takes awhile to get used to it. You are a bit afraid? Well that is normal, it happens to all mothers. All you need is courage and support for you to continue to breastfeed your baby. Here are some benefits of breastfeeding to uplift your courage to continue to breastfeed your baby.
- Human breast milk is the healthiest form of milk for human babies and has everything that is important for the development of the body and the brain of the baby.
- At any stage, even if your baby is premature, the nutrients in your breast milk re-adapted to the need of the baby.
- Your milk contains antibodies that support the health of your baby and helps to prevent diseases and allergies.
- Colostrum (milk that is produced in the first days after the baby is born) helps the baby to eject meconium (composed of materials ingested during the time the infant spends in the uterus).
- Breast milk is sterile, always has the right temperature, is always available and does not cost you anything.
- Through breastfeeding,the mother and baby experience deep bonding.
- In the first weeks after the delivery, breastfeeding helps the uterus to get back to its usual size. It can be accompanied by contractions and pain, but it helps the mother to recover from the delivery.
Be aware that it is very important that the mother follows a balanced and healthy diet while breastfeeding. Nicotine, caffeine and alcohol are absorbed by the body and go directly to the milk. Hence, you shouldn’t smoke, drink coffee or alcohol while you are breastfeeding.
Most important thing to keep in mind is, you should be grateful and proud that you are able to breastfeed your baby because there are some mothers who cannot. There will be a time when you feel tired and worn out. Get support from your partner and your family. Make yourself relaxed and enjoy every moment of breastfeeding with your baby.
Read more at our previous post: Cesarean Section -What You Should Know